Monday, June 23, 2008

Guatemala Update 3

We started in Mezquital this week and we got off as much of the old paint as we could and started painting again. We were a little nervous because it´s not a safe area at all, but no need to worry we are already done there. There were tons of kids there and they loved playing with us and us with them. The view from the roof of the building was amazing and I am hoping that I will be able to upload the pictures on Monday.
We finished early so we started working in Limon. We had to sort clothes that had been donated and bag them. Along with moving a HUGE pile of dirt to the other side of the school. The Captain at the school is very nice though and when he found out that once we were at home (Ta Ta Chino) we had to stay there he offered to take us out sometime.
On Friday the Captains from Mezquital took us to the beach. The waves were awesome and the sand was black, which was different for all of us. We were all doing okay until the tide came up and nearly washed all of our stuff away. I think everyone was pretty much done after that. A few sunburns, but we´re doing well. We had lunch right next to the beach and it was great. It was funny because most ordered fish, but when an entire fish fried came out, we were a little shocked. It was great to be able to relax though and I know we all appreciated it.
We learned last night that we are no longer (not that we were ever allowed) to flush toilet paper down the toilet. So, that´s been an adventure for us to overcome.
Today we went to a market and thank goodness we had Major with us because he save us probably a couple hundred quetzals. He worked it. Haha!
This upcoming week is going to be a challenge for us. It´s going to be long days and tough work. We´re building a computer room in Limon. So keep us in your prayers. Pray for strength, encouragment, and unity... I know all of these will be tested for us.
Also it isn´t the safest of place, but remember Psalm 27: 1-6 says:
The Lord is my light and my salvation
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life
of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.
One thingI ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.
For in the days of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted above the enemies that who surround me; at his tabernacle I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Thank you all again for your prayers. I hope to have more pictures put up on our snapfish on Monday. Make sure you look for them.
http://www.snapfish.com/
username: misstritton@gmail.com
password: 307857
Team Guatemala

No comments: